The organizers of the Tokyo Olympic opening ceremony refused to allow a Senegalese musician to perform because they did not want a Black face in the event, according to a Senegalese musician. Latyr Sy, a percussionist, has spent more than 20 years in Japan and has collaborated with a number of well-known Japanese musicians. He was scheduled to perform in Friday’s opening ceremony at the National Stadium, but his participation was canceled by Tokyo 2020 Olympic organizers due to his race, he told the Independent.
He had been scheduled for the event in December and given the rehearsal schedule in April prior to this. Organizers also told him to erase his diary and keep the show’s details private. He was also told not to take any other jobs and to take his temperature every day to keep an eye on any potential Covid-19 signs.
However, when he discovered that his contract had been delayed in May, he began to investigate. He claims he was told by a public relations firm that the organizers no longer want him in the event because having an African man in the performance would require them to bring in people of all ethnicities and nations.
Sy stated, “It’s completely racist.” “They said, ‘Why this guy?’ I was told. ‘What’s with this African guy?’ I’ve seen and felt a lot of things, but this doesn’t seem to belong with the Olympics. Why should I keep my mouth shut?”
Despite being dropped from his role, he discovered that his section was still included in the production after watching the rehearsal on television. “I was just devastated when I saw it,” he said. “I’m from Goree, a small slave island off the coast of Africa. I’ve lived in this country for over 20 years, and the scandalous Olympics… it’s hurting me. I’m terrified to speak, but I’m eager to let it all out. I’d want to tell you about my experience. I’m not trying to point fingers; all we need to do now is inform the public.”
“It’s not about the money, it’s just that I’m unhappy and disappointed about this,” Sy continued, who has gone overseas to perform on behalf of the Japanese government. This is inequitable. I gave my all for our country. I arrived in 1994 and have performed with Japanese artists all over the world. I am involved in a variety of activities. I traveled extensively over the world. And this is the result.”
The charges have yet to receive a response from Tokyo 2020. Kentaro Kobayashi, the director of the opening ceremony, was fired this week after allegedly making Holocaust jokes.
Prior to that, Keigo Oyamada, the ceremony’s musical composer, resigned after allegations that he had bullied pupils and boasted about it in an interview.
Despite concerns about the Covid-19 scenario, Japan announced earlier this month that the Games will go place in stadiums that were vacant. On Friday, July 23, the Olympic Games’ opening ceremony took place. The women’s softball and football tournaments, on the other hand, began on Wednesday. Japan is now in the midst of a state of emergency that will last until August 22nd.
There will be no fans or the usual hype associated with sporting events. People in Japan are upset at their government for allowing the games to go ahead despite dozens of coronavirus cases among the participants, coaches, and staff.
The Olympics will conclude on August 8, while the Paralympic Games, which begin on August 24, will conclude on September 5. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics have been postponed for a year.