Are you looking for a guide on the Canada Work Visa application? If you are, look no further as this post will give you the best guidelines and advice to make your application successful.
Of course, Canada is a developed country with a robust, diversified economy. In addition, the different sectors in that economy have a huge demand for labor which you can see from the attractive wages and other networking opportunities available there.
Obviously, this combination of benefits attracts many hopeful immigrants that want to move to Canada. However, they will mostly need Canadian work permits to get entry to do so although a select few might not need to.
Basically, a Canadian work permit gives you the freedom to seek employment in Canada if you are a foreigner and non-citizen. Be that as it may, your choice of work visa will determine the specifics of what you can do.
With this in mind, we will present all the necessary information about the Canadian work permits, their eligibility requirements, the application steps and the different types available. We will also give you relevant miscellaneous information about getting a Canadian work permit.
About Canadian Work Visa – Permit
Now, a work permit is a document that grants you permission to work in a country in which you are a foreigner. So if you plan to move to Canada and you are not a permanent resident or citizen, you will definitely need a work permit. As I have said earlier, without it you may not be able to work legally in Canada.
In order to get the work permit, you have to make the application concurrently with when you are applying for your visa from the Canadian embassy or consular office. Another benefit of a work permit worth noting is that after working for a year with it you will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.
Above all, it is important to get all the necessary documentation for you to work legally in Canada. If you try to work in Canada without them, then you are working illegally. If you are caught, it will affect your future prospects and you may face legal action.
HOW TO GET CANADIAN WORK VISA PERMIT
Moreover, there are two ways a foreign national seeking employment opportunities in Canada can get a work permit. The ways are through temporary work visas and permanent or immigrant work visas. However, the type of work visa you apply for determines the requirements you will need to meet to obtain a Canadian work permit and other things you can do with it.
Types of Canadian Work Permits
There are two types of work permits in Canada, open work permit and closed or employer-specific work permit. However, here’s an overview on each type of Canadian work permit:
Employer-Specific Work Permit: An employer-specific, otherwise known as closed work permit. It lets you work for a specific employer in Canada according to certain conditions outlined on your work permit. Furthermore, the conditions may include:
- the name of the specific employer you can work for
- the duration you will work for
- the location where you can work (if applicable)
Moreover, before you submit your application for the employer-specific Canadian work permit. The Canadian employer that wants to hire must complete certain steps and give you either a copy of a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Or an offer of employment number to include in your application.
Open Canadian Work Permit: An open work permit lets you work for any employer in Canada without any conditions unlike the employer-specific. However, it only excludes certain employers such as:
- An employer that is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions or
- Ones that regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages
- Furthermore, applicants will only be able to receive an open work permit in specific situations. In addition, you will not need to provide the following when apply for an open work permit. Since it is not job-specific, unlike the employer-specific which only lets you work for a specific employer.
Above all, the employer will need to provide a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada. Also ,they will need to present or evidence that the Canadian employer has submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal.
In addition, they also have to pay the employer compliance fee.
Canada Work Visa Application Requirements
However, below are the general requirements or criteria you must meet in order to be eligible for to obtain a Canadian work permit.
- You must prove to be willing to leave Canada and return to you home country when your work permit expires
- You must adhere to the conditions on your work permit. Regardless of if it is open and allows you to work for any employer or if it closed or specific and allows you to work for one employer
- Obey the law and have no criminal activity, which you may need to provide a police clearance certificate as proof.
- Show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home
- Not be a danger to Canada’s security
- Be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed
- Not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions
- Not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages
- Give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
Applying for Canadian Work Permit
However, applications for work permit are generally done at the same time at the embassy or consular office you get your visa. But due to COVID-19, most applicants now need to apply online. Below are the guidelines for online application of Canadian work permit.
Firstly, to apply online you will need the following:
- a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
- a valid credit or debit card
Secondly, make sure you read the instruction guide before you complete the your work permit application. It will explain how to complete each field on the application form.
After that, you will need to answer some questions before you uploads your forms. The answers you provide to these questions will be used to create a personalized document checklist for you.
Then, after uploading your application, you will asked to pay the applicable fees for the work permit which are as follows:
- work permit fee: $155
- open work permit holder fee: $100
Finally, create your online account. You will need an account to apply online, moreover, the account will help you
- pay your fees
- submit your application
- check your status
American Visa Sponsorship Program | Study | Work & Live in USA
Get a Visa Sponsorship For Citizenship | Find Out How It All Work