Michigan Man Gets 40 Months To 15 Years Sentence For Shooting 6-Year-Old After Boy’s Ball Landed On His Property

Michigan Man Gets 40 Months To 15 Years Sentence For Shooting 6-Year-Old After Boy’s Ball Landed On His Property

A Michigan man will serve time in prison after shooting a 6-year-old boy for playing with his brothers in his yard. Judge: “Adults should be the ones protecting children, not shooting at them.” The judge was horrified by his conduct.

Ryan Cuong Le-Nguyen was sentenced on April 14 by Washtenaw County Trial Judge Darlene O’Brien to 40 months to 15 years in prison after entering a no-contest plea in March to firing a gun into a building and injuring a young Black boy named Coby who was playing on his Ypsilanti Township property, according to MLive.

 Le-Nguyen was and continues to be the most crucial factor in this case, according to Washtenaw County Prosecutor Eli Savit, who spoke about it prior to the sentencing.

He stated in an email that “in that light, our office had numerous discussions with the victim’s family.”

They stated that they wanted the case to be resolved through a plea deal that would guarantee a prison sentence without the uncertainty at trial — and would enable the children and families affected by the defendant’s actions to heal, without reliving the trauma through testimony in court proceedings. The victim’s relatives gave their complete support to the plea deal.

O’Brien called his actions “reprehensible” and said his sentencing was “appropriate” considering his assault on the boy.

She stated during the sentencing hearing, “This was absolutely despicable conduct. “Instead of shooting at children, adults should be the ones safeguarding them.”

Le-Nguyen chose not to speak, as advised by his attorney Lillian Diallo. The family has filed a personal injury case against the 30-year-old that needs to be heard in court, therefore Diallo did not think it prudent for him to say anything.

A witness said during the examination that on June 6, 2021, at approximately 4:30 p.m., Le-Nguyen shot his 6-year-old next-door neighbor after the kid and two other kids, ages 10 and 11, were playing “monkey in the middle” in his yard.

The game, which involves tossing and catching, is frequently played in an old-fashioned schoolyard or on the street. One person is ‘it.’ 

The man allegedly left his house and kicked the ball into the street, according to the youngsters. He shouted at the kids to get off his lawn and waved his hammer in their direction.

According to eyewitnesses, the kids hurried to get the ball before going to tell the victim’s older brother, who is 11 years old.

Coby was led by the big brother to the homeowner’s front door. The young youngster also spilled red Gatorade on the door at the same time. The children were alarmed and fled.

While the kids were running, they heard the gunshot and noticed that the youngest among them was shot through the back of his upper arm, inches away from his chest, by Le-Nguyen.

The incident was caught on camera by a Ring device, and Coby can be seen yelling as his brother cries.

The kids fled into their house on the 1300 block of Candlewood Lane in a panic and informed their parents of what had transpired. After that, the parents dialed the police.

Not for Coby’s injury, but rather to report an attempted break-in, Le-Nguyen also dialed 911.

The boy is doing fine a year later; the only lasting effects are scars from where the bullet entered and exited his arm.

Le-Nguyen has already served a two-year prison sentence on a felony firearms conviction. Prior to receiving this most recent sentence, he had already served 311 days. Before beginning to serve the 40-month to a 15-year term, he must finish that one.


Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *